If you follow CJ’s on any of our social media platforms, yesterday we showed you the special, one-off 2013 Shelby Mustang GT500 Cobra that was designed as a tribute to Carroll Shelby and was unveiled on Saturday. However, Shelby American had another surprise up their sleeves: The new 2013 Shelby GT500 Super Snake!
Both GT500 prototypes debuted at the Monterey Motorsports Reunion on Saturday, August 18. The event celebrated the 50th anniversary of the Shelby Cobra and included a race with 45 Shelby Cobras, which was held at the world famous Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca and was one of nine races held that day. There were a total of 169 Shelby Cobras in attendance, each taking part in several “parade laps” of the track, wowing the 30,000 visitors.
Since we shared the Shelby GT500 Cobra on Facebook, Google Plus and Twitter yesterday, today we’ll focus on the new 2013 GT500 Super Snake. Unlike the one-off Shelby GT500 Cobra, the Super Snake will likely see limited production in the near future. It follows the same theme as the previous generation Super Snake models, including a Shelby-specific hood, carbon fiber front splitter, stripes, graphics and aluminum 20-inch wheels. The big 5.8L V8 gets fit with a Ford Racing/Whipple supercharger, and the handling improves with a Ford Racing adjustable suspension system and brake upgrades. On the inside, Super Snake embroidery is added to the Recaro seats, and a 3-gauge cluster is added on the A-pillar.
More 2013 Shelby GT500 Super Snake features:
- Shelby/Ford Racing Whipple supercharger system
- Carbon fiber front splitter
- Shelby Super Snake fiberglass hood with air extractors
- SHELBY deck lid letter kit
- Shelby Performance cooling package upgrade includes engine, heat exchanger and aluminum holding tanks
- Super Snake solid billet aluminum badging (front fenders and rear faux gas cap)
- Shelby Super Snake striping
- Front and rear brake cooling duct kit
- Quarter window scoops or block-offs (coupe)
- CSM consecutively numbered billet aluminum dash plaque and CSM consecutively numbered engine plate
- Shelby Super Snake lighted door sill plates
- Shelby 6-piston caliper front brake system and rear rotor/brake pad upgrade
- Stripes available in your choice of gloss white, matte black or Shelby blue
- Track package equipped GT500s receive package credit allowance
- Shelby/Borla cat-back exhaust system
- Shelby/Ford Racing suspension with adjustable dampers or Shelby/Ford Racing spring upgrade (track pack vehicles)
- Ford Racing spring upgrade (track pack vehicles)
- Shelby white ball billet short-throw shifter
- 20-inch Shelby forged 3-piece billet aluminum wheels, 20×9.5 front and 20×11 rear. Available in matte black, natural brushed aluminum clear coat and mirror polished finishes
- Shelby Super Snake 3-piece floor mat set
- Aesthetic engine kit with billet fluid caps and dip stick handle
- A-pillar gauge cluster with carbon fiber faced gauges
- Light bar with third brake light (convertible)
After seeing all that, don’t you want one? Unfortunately, availability and pricing have not been announced as of yet, but we’ll be sure to share it the moment that the information available. In the meantime, enjoy all of the pictures of the new 2013 GT500 Super Snake!
Source: Mustangs Daily